About this medicine
MINOXIDIL (mi • NOX • i • dill) is used to increase new hair growth in cases of hereditary hair loss. When applied to the scalp, this medicine can promote hair growth in men with male pattern baldness. Women should not use extra-strength minoxidil products. This medicine may be used for other purposes; ask your health care provider or pharmacist if you have questions.
The list of names may not include all products that are available on the market.
How to Use
- This medicine is for external use on the scalp only. Do not take by mouth.
- Follow the directions that come with the product. Apply half a capful 2 times a day to the scalp in the hair loss area. Massage into scalp with fingers, then wash hands well.
- The hair and scalp should be dry before you use this medicine.
- You do not need to shampoo your hair before each application.
- Do not use more often than directed.
- Continued use is necessary to increase and keep your hair regrowth or hair loss will begin again.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. This medicine is not approved for use in children.
Overdosage: If you think you have taken too much of this medicine contact a poison control center or emergency room at once.
NOTE: This medicine is only for you. Do not share this medicine with others.
What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, use only that dose. Do not use double or extra doses.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- Frontal hair loss or receding hairline
- No family history of hair loss
- Sudden or patchy hair loss
- Unknown reason for hair loss
- Your scalp is red, inflamed, infected or painful
- An unusual or allergic reaction to minoxidil, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- Pregnant or trying to get pregnant
What may interact with this medicine?
Interactions are not expected. Do not use any other medicines on the scalp without asking your doctor or health care professional.
This list may not describe all possible interactions. Give your health care provider a list of all the medicines, herbs, non-prescription drugs, or dietary supplements you use. Also tell them if you smoke, drink alcohol, or use illegal drugs. Some items may interact with your medicine.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- Chest pain or palpitations
- Dizziness or fainting
- Skin rash, blisters, or itching
- Sudden weight gain
- Swelling of the hands or feet
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- Redness, irritation and itching at the site of application
- Unusual hair growth, on the face, arm, and back
This list may not describe all possible side effects. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
What should I watch for while using this medicine?
This medicine must be used on a regular basis for your hair to regrow. It may take 2 to 4 months of regular use before you notice any improvement. It is important to continue to use this product to maintain regrowth of hair. Once you stop using it, the regrown hair will usually fall out within 3 months. If you do not see any new hair growth after 4 months, stop using this product and contact your doctor or health care professional.
Contact with eyes, nose, mouth
Do not get this medicine in your eyes, nose, mouth, or on other sensitive areas. If you do, rinse off with plenty of cool tap water. Always wash your hands after use. Do not apply if your scalp is cut, scraped, or sunburned.
Hair color and texture
Some people may notice changes in hair color or texture after using this medicine.
Where should I keep my medicine?
- Keep out of the reach of children.
- Store at room temperature between 20 and 25 degrees C (68 and 77 degrees F).
- Some products may be flammable. Keep away from heat, fire or flame.
- Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
Other important information
This sheet is a summary. It may not cover all possible information. If you have questions about this medicine, talk to your doctor, pharmacist, or health care provider.